Lately I’ve been obsessing over things that glow. It started when I realized that pretty much everything “neon” glows in blacklight. From now on, I think before I start a project I’ll ask myself, can I make this NEON? I got everything for this project (except the fur) from JoAnn. If you can’t find neon fur, I suggest using white fur or painting faux flowers with neon or glow-in-the-dark paint and gluing them in place of the fur. If you’re dying for neon fur, message me and I will gladly send you some. Here’s how to make it:
White smooth, stretchy fabric (spandex, nylon blends)
Neon acrylic paints
Neon Cord (or “Tie dye” colored)
White stiff felt
Neon craft foam (glitter optional)
Neon or white fur (or white faux flowers)
Headband (wide width)
Quick dry fabric glue
Needle and thread (or permanent seam tape)
1. From the white stretchy fabric, cut out a cone shape a little larger than you want the horn to be. Tape the edges of the fabric onto your surface and paint the the fabric with diagonal stripes. You may want to do 2 coats to ensure the paint goes on evenly. Wait until dry. To speed the drying process you can use a hairdryer.
2. Fold the horn and pin in it place. Sew along the edge with a double threaded needle. You can use permanent seam tape or hot glue if you don’t want to sew. When you near the point, sew in the neon cord around where the red and orange stripes meet and then finish the point.
3. Turn the horn right side out. Use a pin or tweezers to pull out the tip of the horn. Find a break in the stitching between the red and orange stripes and reach in with tweezers to pull out the neon cord.
4. Stuff the horn generously with batting. Cut out a circle from the stiff white felt the size of the horn base. Glue the circle around the edges of the horn.
5. Cut out 4 ears (two for each) from the white felt. Cut out inner ears from the neon craft foam. Glue the ear pieces together leaving 1/2 inch a the base glue-free.
6. Cut out 2 strips of neon fur. Make a half circle in the middle of the strips to go around the horn.
7. Glue the horn to the center of the headband. Part the base of the ear felt pieces, add glue, and stick them to the headband.
8. Glue the neon fur strips to the back and front of the headband.