I love rainbows. I love bath bombs. I have been wanting to make a rainbow bath bomb for a while now, but I was nervous that it might not fizz like the magical rainbow bath bombs in my dreams. Luckily, I’m very happy with how these turned out and I love how the colors expand in water just like I envisioned! Here’s how to make them:
1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup citric acid
1/2 cup epsom salt
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 Tbsp. coconut oil (liquid form)
1 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. vanilla extract (for scent)
1/2 tsp. lavender essential oil
Heart silicone mold
Spray bottle (optional)
1. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl: baking soda, citric acid, cornstarch, and epsom salt.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients: coconut oil, water, vanilla extract, and lavender essential oil.
3. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients while stirring. If too much water is added at once, the baking soda will begin to fizz.
4. If the mixture doesn’t reach the desired consistency (sticking together like wet sand), add more water using a spray bottle.
5. Separate the mixture into 3 or 4 bowls, and add soap coloring to each. You can use 3 or 4 different colors to get a beautiful rainbow effect. I recommend red, yellow, and blue if you are using 3 colors.
6. Scoop the mixtures into the bath bomb mold one color at a time doing your best to separate the colors into sections. It doesn’t have to be perfect at all.
7. Firmly pack down the mixture using a spoon or your hands.
8. Let harden overnight.
9. Carefully remove the bath bombs from the mold.